Should we consider moving this community?
The Dragon Waiting opens with a brief prologue laying out what Ford is trying to accomplish, and more importantly what he isn't.
In the hideous mass-market paperbacks this is titled "Ahistorical Note," in contrast with the "Historical Notes" at the end of the book.
In the hardback, and also I'm told in the Fantasy Masterworks edition, it's "A Historical Note."
Anyone know which is likely to be the author's preferred text? I'd vote for "Ahistorical" myself, but I really don't know.
("Ask Dr. Mike" was a highlight of any convention that included it. As TNH said, when she did programming for Minicon, she learned never to schedule anything opposite "Ask Dr. Mike." While most of the hour-long improv was based on questions from the live audience, Mike sometimes would put some seed questions in, just in case there was a lull. These are some of his seed questions. Dating this list is left as an exercise for the reader.)
1) I have a question about household appliances. I once read a book where scientists kept talking about the speed of light in a vacuum. How is this different from the speed of light in, say, a blender?
2) Why do some Olympic athletes inject androids into their blood stream?
3) I've been following the space program for a few years, and I have never been able to understand weightlessness. Why does gravity stop just at the place where the earth's atmosphere peters out? Is this a coincidence, or what? How does gravity work on planets like Venus that don't have any atmosphere at all?
4) How do computers sometimes work?
5) Is it true what they say about Elvis?
6) What would happen if you paint a black hole a different colour?*
7) I was watching old Superman TV shows and noticed that the Man of Steel would just stand still and let bullets bounce off his chest. However, when the crook ran out of ammunition and hurled the empty gun at him, Superman always ducked. Why didn't he just let the gun bounce off his chest too?
8) In international law, what is the legal definition of an "Evil Empire"? Why has the Soviet Union lost its Evil Empire status in the last five years?
* Colloquially, "color"
SIX FLAGS OVER BLOOMSBURY
A Literary Theme Park
Over 50 Great Rides and Attractions
* The Tunnel of Angst
* The Pre-Raphaelite Water Slide
* The Haunted Villa Deodati
* Henry James's Morose-O-Rama
* Mad, Bad, and Dangerous To Know Land
* T.S. Eliot's Cathedral of Fun
Mike wrote that and handed it around at gaming one night to amuse the general populace, I do believe. Enjoy!